Sunday 6 October 2013

My Lavender Lullaby






Want to know the secret to the best beauty sleep you can get? Spritzing your pillow with the relaxing and calming scent of lavender, of course.
Lavender is hands down my favourite essential oil; I'm a little bit of a junkie, but what's not to love? Lavender is part of the mint family and also has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Not to mention the fact that it soothes headaches, relaxes the spirit, alleviates anxiety and is proven to have an influence on the quality of your sleep and prevent disturbances. I used to sprinkle undilluted drops of pure essential oil straight onto my pillow at bedtime, but I am currently loving Tisserand Aromatherapy Lavender Linen & Room Mist.




I have come to expect the rich smell of lavender at bedtime now, and although this mist doesn't have the intensity that the bursts of the pure essential oil that used to knock me out had, I've learnt to love its gentle tones and hints. It has 100% natural fragrance and the lavender oil is organic and comes in the form of a fine mist. You can spritz it directly onto your bed cover or pillow to encourage sweet dreams, use it to spray around your room to promote rest and relaxation, lightly scent your bathrodes and towels or even add to ironing water to infuse and fragrance your linens from the word go.
It comes with a pump spray which makes it perfect for all that spritzing! I use it directly all over my pillow just before my head lands, but also along my curtains by my bed as well as on my fabric headboard so there's no way I won't get that dose of lavender I crave.





It doesn't have the fuddy duddy smell of the old English Lavender soap of your Grandma's knicker drawer, but it's truly fresh and invigorating. It really does smell so natural and, if this makes sense, it swirls to perfectly mix a subtlety and strength of scent. Yummy mummies are often encouraged to wash and massage their beautiful babies with lavender to promote a healthy and happy bedtime routine and there's no reason why you shouldn't continue to enjoy the benefits through to old age. On the first whiff I feel myself drifting slowly into a relaxing and undisturbed sleep, floating on a lavender cloud! The other night I felt myself tossing and turning, frustratedly not being able to stop thinking about work, but after a few sprays of this stuff, the next thing I knew it was the next morning and I was feeling refreshed!
Each spray does deliver quite a generous dose of lavender mist so just three spritzes are usually enough for a normal sized pillow - it's not so generous, however, that it leaves your pillow soaking wet! It's that little bit heavier than a burst of perfume, but a similar light mist consistency.


Tisserand Aromatheraphy products are a little pricey. This 400 ml bottle was just under £20, but pure lavender oil-based products do not come cheap. Moreover, I have had it for well over a year and I'm not even a third of the way through. I'm keen to try the Body Shop lavender pillow mist next, but this bottle seems never ending and will keep serving my sleep for a good year or so more. Best of all, it's also 100% vegan and contains no synthetic fragrances. The bottle is also 100% recyclable. So you can not only enjoy the best beauty sleep of your life, you can also sleep easy knowing that no animals were harmed in the making and your carbon footprint is teeny weeny.


Trust me, making lavender part of your bedtime routine really does leave you feeling like a princess.
Sweet dreams!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment