Tuesday 15 October 2013

Not So Heavenly: Angels on Bare Skin


This may come as a surprise, but I'm about to review a Lush product which I don't like! I know right? It may seem as though my reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but I assure you I aim to be honest and balanced - I just like to, and find it easy to, write about products which I'm passionate about and which have impressed me. But equally I also want you to know about the products which disappoint, which brings me onto Lush Angels on Bare Skin.

This product was recommended to me by a reader as well as a member of staff in Lush after a few questions about my skin, and after hearing that it contained lavender I was putty in her hands! It's a fresh facial cleanser; I never intended to use it as my daily face wash though, but instead have it sit alongside my exfoliator (Lush Ocean Salt - now that is heavenly) for use in the shower for a good deep cleanse.

It says on the tin that it evens out skin tone, reduces redness and improves the health and appearance of your skin, giving a natural healthy glow - sounds perfect right? I'm sorry to say though that I haven't necessarily felt that way. My skin tone isn't entirely even and I do have rosy cheeks and, although it doesn't promise to work magic, I haven't noticed any difference in colour or quality. If anything, I've noticed that my skin has been a little clogged and uneven recently, but I can't prove that it's down to this product which would be slightly unfair. To tell you the truth , even if it did do everything that it said on the tin though, I still wouldn't use it. It's the consistency and smell that I don't like (unusual for a Lush product, I know).


It's incredibly dry and spongy and you really do have to dig your figures into the pot with incredible intent in order to scoop some out; it certainly doesn't come easily. This isn't necessarily a huge problem though as as soon as you mix it with a sprinkling of water it miraculously transforms into a cleansing milk before your eyes, which I do like. The almond milk itself is creamy and leaves you soft and squeaky clean, but I'd much rather skip the transformation process and be able to pour the milk straight from a bottle. Clumps of the product do remain in the milk and all in all it's simply an odd experience as the resulting mixture is difficult to apply - you want to make the most of the product and rub the remaining clumps into your skin but you equally don't want to let the milk slip away between your fingers.

I'm afraid the thing that most offends me though is the smell. I can only describe it as the natural scent you may have come across when making your own soap on a school trip to a Victorian farm (very specific description but every time I open this cleanser it really does take me straight back to that soap-making workshop!!). Victorians probably had to put up with less than perfect scents whereas we have now refined cosmetics to smell beautiful so should have moved on.... It definitely has hints of lavender but the combination with kaolin (clay which absorbs grease) is a little unpleasant in my opinion and hangs in the air a little longer than I'd like.


What I do love about this best-selling product (which means lots of you must love it too) is that it's made from 100% natural ingredients. By taking out the water, a specific move which is why adding water is essential for use and turning it into a milk, Lush have also taken away the need for preservatives. So there is a good reason for the consistency and this also makes it kinder to your skin as it shouldn't upset your skin's delicate micro flora by quite as much. It's also 100% vegan and is, naturally, not tested on animals so full marks there Lush, as always.

 I'm afraid I won't be buying this product again... I may not even finish this pot (sorry Lush!!). To end on a positive note though, when this product was first recommended to me they didn't have any in stock so I was offered a sample of the Fresh Farmacy Cleanser, very similar apparently and so much so that they called it the 'solid version' of Angels on Bare Skin. Now I'm not so sure how they are similar as Fresh Farmacy has none of the same ingredients and is based on a chamomile and marigold infusion. I would, however, recommend this product. I never thought I'd be a fan of solid cleansers but it's great for travelling as you can slice small chunks off at once and it, too, becomes a super soft milk very easily so perhaps try that instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment