Wednesday 22 May 2013

Fashion Recycling: Sunglasses






All true green goddesses are familiar with recyling, but I'm not just talking sorting your greens and your clears at the bottle bank. No, I'm talking about fashion recycling: my new favourite hobby.

If you're familiar with my blog, you will have noticed my profile picture where I can be seen sporting some rather flowery sunglasses. I can reveal that I made them myself for a grand total of £2.99. Now, although I'm talking about recycling, I have bought all the pairs of sunglasses in this post as new pairs. However, I have used old bits and pieces that were otherwise destined for the bin to bring them to life. I am prone to reinventing old bags and clutches with odd buttons, hair accessories and ribbons, but this post is an opportunity to showcase my sunglasses collection... enjoy!


Roses




If it's not already obvious, these are my favourite pair. I had some rope-like bracelets which these flowers were orginially part of, but they were so itchy and always tilted at an odd angle. They therefore made it into my craft cupboard as I no longer desired to wear them. The flowers were far too pretty to throw away though and I'm glad I didn't as a walk through London's Liberty's provided me with the perfect light bulb moment. I spied the most stunning pair of floral adorned sunglasses, but they were of course nearing the £300 mark; ridiculous - I'd only sit on them! A slither of superglue meant that I could make my own, however, and I love them. They cost me a few pennies and feel ultra glam. And best of all they are an excuse to be eco friendly and resourceful :)


Antlers

Stags are super trendy but you don't need to go hunting to stay in vogue - absolutely not! I was ever so proud of my gold deer ring...




So when it inevitably got caught and broke I was a little teary. But bit bash bosh, a droplet of glue and bibbidi bobbido boo... a funky pair of sunglasses was reborn.


These may be a little out there for some, but if you're not afraid of a truly statement piece - then this is the one for you. I'd recommend teaming it with very simple styling on the clothes front so as not to overwhelm and match with other gold jewelry and accessories to keep it classic.

Top tip: In order to secure metal on metal, glue a small swab of fabric in the middle. In this instance I cut a corner of ribbon which worked well to fuse each piece together


Butterflies

Another fashion crisis: losing one earring and thus separating a pair. This doesn't have to be a dilemma as wearing earrings which don't match can be striking fashion statement in itself, such as teaming a simple stud with a longer, flashier style. Unfortunately, I misplaced a silver hoop embellished with buttlerflies, which only really worked as a pair. So what better excuse to salvage a pretty piece of jewelry than getting trigger happy with the pliers.


This design's success lies in its simplicity. I am guilty of often going OTT, but this understated finish still makes a statement without you having to wear a pair of antlers on your forehead!


Wings

I have to admit that this wasn't a case of recyling as I bought a pair of wing earrings purely with the intention of taking them apart. The thought of a pair of sunglasses with wings saw me search far and wide for the perfect pair to satisfy my creative vision. They aren't my favourite pair, but I hope they inspire you to come up with your own original and recycled designs...





I hope I have shown than recycling can be glamorous and I can testify that leading a cruely-free life leaves you feeling beautiful, fresh, natural, healthy and like you're making a difference. Don't always dig deep for designer gear (which often comes with a carbon frontprint or contributes to suppliers who also stock fur, leather and skins), but make your own! Get involved :)


No comments:

Post a Comment