Tuesday 14 May 2013

Foundation: Out with the Old...




A major part of making the transition to a cruelty-free lifestyle is grieving the things you have to leave behind. Today I have said goodbye to my foundation and it was tough. I have been using Clinique Superbalanced Makeup Foundation in 27 Alabastor for seven years and it certainly wasn't a beauty rut. I kept repeat purchasing as I loved it so much and its oil-free base perfectly complemented by skin. It was light, blended well and was just the right colour for the au natural look. It also came in a little glass pot which looked very snazzy on my dressing table.

It is, however, tested on animals so I am proud to say that after scraping out as much as I could (which is difficult in a glass jar...), we have parted ways.






The bonus of using up beauty products is getting to go shopping for a replacement though - my favourite! Foundation is something I feel you have to wear everyday for a short time to really discover if it's right for you, so I personally haven't been requesting samples as I don't feel they give a true indication of the product. I have instead bitten the bullet and popped into the Body Shop in which I left with my little brown paper bag after around only 20 minutes.
 


I've only ever tried their illuminator before (after having to bin my YSL Touche Eclat - another sad memory), but I find their staff very helpful as they always offer free makeup consultations. We selected their three foundation options in my colours (I didn't want to try a BB cream as I'm still a cynic and I just don't trust it to give the coverage I'm after) and sat in front of the mirror doing all you can... try them out on your face (not your hand!). I opted for the Body Shop Moisture Foundation SPF 15 in shade 3 which seemed an instant winner.

At first the assistant was reluctant for me to try it as I don't have dry skin, but we both found out that it was just right. I'm not one for wearing foundation all over my face so the colour absolutely has to match my skintone and this light and milky, creamy number was perfect. I have rosy cheeks (lucky my friends and family say - a natural blusher!), but I like to cover them up for a clean complexion and my first impressions of this foundation were beautiful blendability, a natural finish and my skin, (even having removed all my makeup a few hours ago), still feels super soft.




I could be delirious from the bright lights of the cosmetics counter so I don't want to pass judgement yet - I did only buy it today! I will be putting it to the ultimate test by wearing it right there on my face (as it should be) everyday I'm out and about, so stay tuned to find out if I'm a convert.

Some other deets:


  • It comes in a super sleek and shiny bottle which is ever so sexy
  • It has a pump dispenser, but is easy to control (not dispensing too much or too little) and leaves the foundation bubbly and fluffy for application - it also looks as though I'll be able to keep track of how much I have left as the pump will cause the base to rise with use
  • It is only £13 - half the price of my last foundation!
  • It's 100% vegetarian and not tested on animals!
  • It contains an SPF to keep your face happy in the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment